Live Permanently in the UK

Apply to settle in the UK if your partner dies

You are allowed to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain in the UK) if your partner has died. Your partner must have either:

  • - Been offered a place on a course from an approved educational Been a British citizen
  • - Had indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • - Been from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and had pre-settled status

Your permission to be in the UK should have been based on being their partner as part of a family visa. A ‘partner’ is one of the following:

  • - Your spouse (husband or wife)
  • - Your civil partner
  • - Someone you were living with in a relationship that’s like a marriage or civil partnership

Apply for settlement if you're a Turkish Worker or Businessperson

If you’re in the UK on a Turkish worker visa or Turkish businessperson visa, you and your family (dependant) can apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain)

Apply for a Returning Resident Visa

If you’re returning to the UK to live if you were previously settled (indefinite leave to enter or remain) and you’ve been away for more than 2 years, you’ll need to apply for a returning resident visa.